Monday, 13 June 2011

First Foray Into my "Crafting Nook"

Hello Everyone,

I have finally managed to get around to setting up my "play" blog, having learned something of how to do things with my "work" blog, EFT, Reiki and All Kinds of Everything. If you are into personal development and self-help you might like to pay a visit.

This is going to be my "fun" place to hang out. I decided to call this blog Karen's Crafting Nook because I like the word "nook". There are a number of definitions for this word. 

Nook \Nook\ (n[oo^]k; 277), n. [OE. nok; cf. Gael. & Ir. niuc.]
A narrow place formed by an angle in bodies or between bodies; a corner; a recess; a secluded retreat. [1913 Webster]

All of the following could be applicable at times - asylum, bolt-hole, cubbyhole, den, hideaway, hideout, hidey hole, refuge, retreat, and sanctuary.

So this is the place I can come to when I want to share the results of my crafting endeavours.

As time goes by and I get a little more adventurous, and find the time, it has to be said, I'm hoping to start making up some little digital freebies, and upload some tutorials.

I have one ready to go already, which I'll be posting shortly.

I love to get involved in what I call "messy crafting", playing with inks and stamps. Some of my favourite stamps are those from Stampscapes.com, mixed and matched with others as below.





I like playing with the Cuttlebug as well, when I can find time, but in recent months the plaything of choice has been firstly Serif's Digital Scrapbook Artist 2 (DSA2), and more recently the upgrade to Craft Artist Platinum, for card making and scrapbook pages.

I've always been one of those people for whom scrapbooking was a mystery - what was it really all about? But once I got this programme, I rather got sucked intp producing some scrapbook pages of my own, especially when you see the lovely work produced and uploaded onto the gallery pages of Daisytrail (the site associated with DSA2/Carft Artist) and ScrapBookFlair (SBF), amongst others. My page on SBF is under the name of KattyLew.

A couple of pages I made with Craft Artist. The first one used the "Poet's Keepsakes" kit by Lorie Davison.


This second one is of our eldest cat.


The tutorial I hope to post is one for the use of Craft Artist. I have also recently treated myself to the Artrage 3 Studio package and although I've only had the chance to look at that briefly, it looks great fun to play with as well.

The results will quite likely appear here.

I'll be adding extra bits and pieces to the blog - favourite websites and blogs I like, so I hope you will pop by, sign up as a Follower, or better still, subscribe by RSS Feed or email, and see what I get up to as time goes by. And please feel free to leave comments - it's always nice to hear from people with a shared interest.

Blessings,

Karen




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I knew you were good at digital crafting but your Stamping has just blown me away.....Brilliant.
Betty

Karen Lewis said...

Hi Betty,

It's nice to know you like the stamping examples.

They were done using the Stampscapes series of stamps. They make it so very easy to come up with something that looks quite decent almost from the start.

I haven't played with them for quite a few months. I really must get out the stamps and inkpads sometime soon. :-)

Blessings,

Karen