Friday, 29 June 2012

Converting a heart embellishment to a frame using "Convert to Curves" - a tutorial for Serif Craft Artist.

Hi Everyone,

I'm back with another little video tutorial using my favourite crafting software, Serif Craft Artist Professional. As usual, I have also provided the accompanying PDF version, which you can download - click here.

Watching a recording I had made of Michelle Jackson-Mogford demonstrating Serif Craft Artist on Create & Craft recently, she had an enquiry from a viewer asking if it was possible to make a heart shape embellishment, from the DaisyTrail “Cupid” kit, into a gold frame.

Michelle tried it out on air by using the usual quick and simple way to convert an image to a frame: dragging the embellishment into the Frames Tab, and then back out on to the workspace. Because the heart is slightly more intricate in shape, this didn't work.

Instead, Michelle demonstrated how you can make your own gold heart frame from Quick Shapes, and adding one of the Metallic Effects.

A thread was raised in the DaisyTrail Forum about Michelle's alternative: Making gold heart frame demo, and one of the responses mentioned that you can indeed convert this embellishment to a frame and linked to the Creating smart photo frames in Digital Scrapbook Artist tutorial, one of the DaisyTrail Video Tutorials.

I knew as well, from making the Word Art Frames tutorial last year, that it should be possible to convert this embellishment into a frame; it follows a similar approach to that mentioned in the tutorial. It just takes a bit more time and fiddling around than Michelle had on air.

As I gave it a try, I realised that there is yet another alternative - using the "Convert to Curves" feature so that I could really fine tune things.

So here is the video:



Here is a card I produced using the new frame and the kit, for my sister's wedding anniversary. The church is St Lukes, in Cannock, Staffordshire, where they got married.



I do hope you enjoy the videos and the pdf tutorials and find them useful. I'd be interested in any feedback so that future ventures can be tweaked if needs be. If you have any problems or queries then please do leave a note in the comments.

When watching the video, if you find the view looks blurry, go to the "Change Quality" setting, the little cog at the lower right of the screen, at the opposite end to where you maximise / minimise the screen, and push it up to 1080p HD. That sharpens things up.

Other tutorials for Craft Artist, and DSA2, can be found on the Serif You Tube Channel, and also on the Daisytrail website here.

Blessings,

Karen

4 comments:

sandiehc said...

great tutorial Karen thanks xxx

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 1 post on Jun. 30, 2012. Thanks again.

Betty said...

Great Tutorial Karen.
Thank you.
Betty

WendyP said...

If you go to my blog (http://wendypscrapdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/) you'll see that I have just given you an award.

Wendy